I bought this pattern to make my first Laura Ingalls Wilder dress. I was looking for something simple and straightforward that reflected certain details of the time period. The front draping, for example, and the tight fitted bodice.
I started with the bodice, as that is where the directions began. I am a DD or E cup, so I cut out the D cup pattern (the largest one). My mockup fit in the ok bust, but had WAY too much room in the body. I ended up taking material from every seam, and even reshaping the side seams slightly to fit my shape. After several hours of shaping and reshaping my mockup, I decided I was satisfied. One thing I learned while making this dress was that it was important to get it tight. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied if the bodice was baggy or wrinkled, so I made my mockup as snug as possible. Also, I did add boning in the end, which the instructions do not include, but I wanted.
The skirt (706) and the overskirt (707) were both quite simple. I absolutely loved the skirt pattern, even without the overskirt. It was full, gathered, slim at the waist with wide skirts, everything I wanted. I would probably use just the skirt pattern for another historical costume in the future.
I liked the overskirt alright, but I'm not a huge fan drape in front. I know it's typical of the era, but I am always stressed about it laying just right. Plus the apron in back isn't particularly bustle-y. Of course, I knew that from the beginning, but it was still a bit disappointing.
Overall, I was very pleased with this pattern. I would use it again and recommend it to people in the future. The instructions were clear, I didn't have to do much tweaking, and I loved how many historic details it included. See the finished dress HERE.